June 17, 2011

The Search for the Best Milk Tea in Town

Yes. I have been on a search. I've tried most places that sell milk teas. And so far, only one has come close to the real thing.

My love affair with pearl milk teas (PMT) began many many years ago. I was in Taiwan for a study tour and an uncle introduced me to my very first Zhen Zhu Nai Cha or Pearl Milk Tea. I have to admit that I didn't like it at first. I found the combination of the tea and the milk unappealing. But it grew on me. It was definitely an acquired taste.

Soon after that, Easy Way made its way to Manila. So imagine my joy when I found out. It was the same store where I bought my PMTs from in Taiwan. It became an instant family favorite. We'd drive to the nearest Easy Way and drink to our hearts' content. And at P 25.00 per cup, it was a cheap treat. But sadly, just a few years after its first store opened, Easy Way would close its doors. :(

It wouldn't be until many years later that we would "discover" Ersao's PMT. It was definitely not the same thing. But since it was the only choice, we settled for it. And because of the lovely (not really) summery weather here, there were times when we'd order 3x a week! We were that crazy for milk tea! 

On our last trip to HK, we discovered a milk tea place. Share Tea is the name. The taste is quite close to the "original". I was happy. During our 5-day stay, we had milk tea, everyday! Haha

To date: I have tried the following: Ersao, Meicha, Bubble Tea Boy, Fun Tea, Serenitea, Tea Cup, Cha Time, Cobo, Bubble Tea and last but definitely not least, Happy Lemon. 

Ersao: they used to make better milk teas i think. the version now tastes "watered down" taste: 5

Mei Cha & Cha Time: they kinda have the same taste. A milky sort that overpowers the tea. On a scale of 1 to 10, i'd give it a 6.5.

Bubble Tea Boy: i'd give it a 7. taste is closer to what i've been looking for.

Bubble Tea: this is probably the most different of the bunch because it's from tokyo. it's actually not bad. but the price hike from 80 to 125 was a total turn-off. i've never bought since. taste: 8

Serenitea: this is probably the one with the most "tea" taste. and the lingering taste of tea isn't exactly pleasant for me. service has always been a downer too. taste: 7

Tea Cup: i vaguely remember how this tastes like. probably because i only had a sip. and if i don't remember, it only means it wasn't good. taste: 4

Fun Tea: this is tricky. the first time i tried it. i felt it was good. then the next few times, it was way off! the last time i bought a milk tea from them, the drink tasted like 80% milk + 20% tea! taste: 6

Cobo: i only tried this place one time. it's not bad actually. but still not what i've been looking for. taste: 7.5

Happy Lemon: ahh... happy lemon, just the thought of this place brings a smile to my face. i've heard of this place from friends. so naturally, i anticipated its coming after the announcement. the first time i visited, i was with my sister (which happens a lot, because we're both milk tea addicts). i got there first, and ordered my drink. after the first sip, i was elated. this is it, i told myself. and it was the same thing i told my sister as soon as she got there. one sip and she agreed. finally, after a long wait. i wouldn't have to wait until the next vacation to HK or taiwan to have a taste of my beloved milk tea! it has that perfect balance of milk and tea and the yummy pearls of course! taste: 10 (even if i didn't score, i think it was obvious from my narrative :P)

I heard Gong Cha has opened a branch in MOA and is opening a branch soon in North Edsa. I wonder when I'd be able to try that. Haha

Yes I am an addict. A milk tea addict that is! :D

No comments:

Post a Comment