June 17, 2011

What I Won't Let Go

While it may not be a "healthy" practice, I would have to admit that I am not someone who forgets. It isn't done intentionally though. Perhaps you could just say that I was "built" that way.

I could narrate to you many instances from the past which a "normal" person usually tends to forget. How I manage to remember details including conversations is a mystery to me, because frankly, there are chunks of my past that I'd rather forget.

However, the things that I choose to hold on to, that's a different thing altogether. There are friendships I've kept because of history, even if things aren't the same anymore. There are tokens, little things that I can't seem to give up, even if to others they seem like junk.

How about people then? When we lose someone dear to us, we are often told to just let it go, to move on. I don't mean losing as in ending a relationship, i mean losing as in someone dying. It seems to me that, while time has managed to make the pain better, it hasn't managed to truly heal. When I think about people I've lost, the sting is still there. Somehow, there's still a little part of me that is in disbelief. That they have gone forever.

There are just some things you can't get over.

No comments:

Post a Comment